Monthly Archives: April 2015

Finishing bedroom walls, continuing hardwood floor

We continue to have issues with our internet, uploading pictures has now become somewhat difficult but still possible under good circumstances (I’ve not been able to deduce exactly what those circumstances are!)

Since the last post I managed to get most of the master bedroom area  tidied up – we moved the bathtub into the master bath, and in doing so discovered that I actually cut one of the floor tiles wrong, so it looks as though I’ll have a bit of an adventure pulling up that tile and then re-cutting and laying a new one.  I will probably put this off until we do more tiling and rent the tile saw again.

We also managed to get the toilet installed in the master bath, and connect it to the plumbing, so at least now we have a properly functioning toilet that we don’t have to flush with a bucket of water (that was getting old!)

With the cleanout of the bedroom largely complete, I finally got around to installing the last of the vapour barrier and drywall in there, all that’s left is some drywall around the fireplace (has to wait until we fully connect the fireplace).

Finished master bedroom drywall
Finished master bedroom drywall

Once I got that squared away I have been continuing on with the hardwood floor – to keep the hardwood floor going straight in the bedroom, I screwed a sheet of plywood to the floor to provide a solid backing and ensure none of the flooring boards shifted as I nailed them down with the nailer.  In the picture below, you can see I am installing from left to right (looking in the bedroom door) – after I get the “right” side completed, I’ll take up the plywood and use a “spline” to reverse the direction of the tongue & groove flooring (more on this later) and finish off the “left” side of the room, and that will be the end of the flooring except for some trim pieces here and there.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures and we’ll be trying to post more frequently now that things are coming along a bit more quickly.

Mid-April Update

Well, it seems as though spring is finally here, and we are so happy to see it after such a bitterly cold winter.  I must apologize for the delay, this post was supposed to go up a while ago but I have been having troubles uploading pictures lately  🙁

Since the last post I have been tackling projects on several fronts – I kept going with the hardwood flooring until I got to the row that would continue through into the bedroom area.

Continuation of hardwood floor
Continuation of hardwood floor

I decided to stop there, as I still have to complete installing the vapour barrier in the bedroom, and there are a bunch of construction materials piled up in there, that I needed to get cleared away.  In an effort to reduce clutter, I figured I could finish more of the master bathroom, and that would clear away some of the materials and give me the space necessary to .  To start getting the kitchen in shape, now that the hardwood floor is down, I started getting some of the cabinets in place, so we can really start getting a better sense of the space.

Setting up some cabinets
Setting up some cabinets

While we had originally planned to tile our shower walls, in an effort to move things forward more quickly, we picked up an acrylic shower wall kit and installed that, and then laid down the porcelain tile on the bathroom floor, and got it grouted.  We laid down Ditra XL over the subfloor (the tile goes on top of it) as it provides a pretty waterproof uncoupling layer and should ensure the tiles don’t crack over time.  We chose Ditra XL, instead of regular Ditra, as it will match up well with our 3/4″ hardwood floor so we have a smooth transition from the hardwood to the tile.

Now that we’ve got that squared away, we can finish installing the bathtub, the toilet, and our vanity, and once those are complete the bedroom should be clear out enough to finish off the vapour barrier in there.  Finally, we’ll take care of the drywall and flooring in there, and be much closer to a finished home.

Sorry for the delay in posting, but hopefully all the pictures make up for it!