Monthly Archives: August 2015

Continuing the siding

For the past couple of days, the weather has been nice and clear with no sign of rain.  We figured this was an ideal opportunity to continue installing the siding.  We managed to finish installing all the siding boards across the entire front of the house, and got the starter boards installed on each of the other sides.

From there we decided to work on the west wall because it is the wall with the fewest windows and openings to work around (only one window, and the fireplace chimney vent).  We got a little over halfway done on that yesterday (at least, the lower course of siding), and hope to be able to finish that off today.  From there we will decide if we are going to do the second course of siding on that wall (taking the siding right up to the roof), or continue on with another side of the house and come back to that.  Installing the second course of siding means I need to cut a 27 degree angle on the end of every siding board we install, so it will be slower going.

After we get done installing all the siding boards, we will finish up the exterior siding and trim by installing both gable trim, and vertical battens where each siding board meets.

Unfortunately. some of the siding boards got a bit weathered from being stored outside under a tarp all winter (some boards in worse shape than others), but we are optimistic that a solid colour stain will cover up most of these issues.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures and hopefully we will have more for you, of the continued siding installation, in the next few days!  Thanks for reading!

ORCKA Level 3 certified!

The past week has been rainy on and off so we had to take a break from the siding.  It goes up quick, though, and generally pretty easily, and we’re looking forward to getting back into it soon!

This past weekend, Heather and I took a canoe course so that we would be certified to take the cub scouts out canoeing in the next year.  It started on Friday evening with the “wet” component, which involved tipping your canoe and being rescued, or rescuing another team after they tipped their canoe.   There was also a swimming component to ensure we had the requisite swimming skills.  We did this in the Rideau Canal, thankfully the water is really warm at this time of year!

Saturday and Sunday consisted of learning paddling techniques and then being tested on what we’d learned over the whole weekend.

At the end of the program we even got to go through one of the locks twice (down, then back up again), which was a pretty exciting experience.

Canoe course student photo
Canoe course student photo

Now that we’ve completed the course and passed the test, we are both ORCKA level 3 certified (covers everything except solo canoeing).

Sorry that there isn’t more to report on the house front, but we will get back into it soon enough!  Forecast looks good this week for some more progress on the siding!

Lovely day to start installing siding

Today was a beautiful, clear day  – blue skies, puffy white clouds, all we needed to round out such a day was buttercups, or perhaps little yellow fuzzy chicks  🙂  With such a nice day on the cards we decided it was time to dive into the stack of siding that has been under a tarp since it was delivered with the kit house last August…a long time for wood siding to be sitting around no doubt!

You can see in the following pictures, that even though the wood was covered up with a tarp, some water got in and discoloured some of the boards.  We are hopeful that with the application of a good, solid colour stain that it will all look fine in the end!

Hope everyone is having a great summer and hope you enjoyed the pictures!

Installing the range hood

Today we decided that we would install the range hood over our gas oven.  We didn’t get any pictures of the hardest part of the process, which was lifting the hood into place, as both our hands were occupied, but Heather managed to take a few of the rest of the process.

The only real preparation we had to do, was to go up in the attic and attach a couple 2×4’s to the existing rafters so that we would have a secure and solid point to fasten the range hood to, as it is fairly heavy (80lbs or so).

Here’s the pictures which show the rest of the process:

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the pictures!  One step closer to getting this house done!